The kids have been taking swimming lessons for the last three sessions. The twins are still too small so they are in the parent tot class with mom and dad. Teegan is solo and started in level one, where he did so well and passed into level two with no problems. After level two the teacher felt that he was border line and thought he should stay in level two for one more session.

Because the classes fill up so fast (we have missed them in the past for waiting a week before to sign up), I was for once (I thought) on the ball and registered Teegan for level three. After the session ended his teacher advised that she would keep him in level two again. I told her I had already signed him up for level three. She said, well I was torn and I think he will be fine in level three. She then went on to tell me that the level three class is in the lap pool and not in the regular pool where the deepest point is only 3.5 feet deep. The rule is a parent must be in arms length, which means we have one parent with Teegan and one parent to hold two toddlers during parent tot. Not sure how we would have done it without the help of Grandma Cyn and Mike for coming to the rescue for several early Saturday mornings to help with swimming. Grandma Cyn helped with the twins while mom and dad took turns watching Teegan in his class. And Mike of course was our photographer and video man.

I was the lucky one to get to watch Teegan during his first class in level three. When we got there and introductions were being made I realized he was definitely the youngest and smallest in the class. All other kids in the class could touch the bottom of the lap pool without holding onto the side. Teegan could not. The teacher started off telling the kids the rules of the pool, and the most important rule was don't you leave the edge of the pool until your name is called. Things were going pretty well and I was thinking to myself, Teegan's got this. About half way through the class they were pushing off the edge of the pool and trying to get some distance into the pool. Teegan was one of the last ones to go and was patiently waiting until out of know where he went without his name being called and after pushing off out into the middle he began to sink. I of course panic, calling his name. The teacher immediately had to grab the girl she was working with to take her along to grab Teegan from going down and down. It was horrible and you could tell he was very embarrased. The teacher gave him the lecture and explained again why it is so important to wait for your name to be called. Teegan said he thought she did call his name (I'm not quite so sure of that, I think he just got tired of waiting and was feeling pretty confident).
During the second class, dad watched and all was well. During the third class I was back with Teegan. After about 5 minutes into the class Teegan looked at me with really sad eyes and told me that he did not want to swim today. I could tell he was uncomfortable and really wanted out. As I'm sure you can tell where this story is going -- we stopped level three and will join again after soccer season and we'll be back in level two. Teegan has advised us that he does not want to go into level three until he can touch the bottom like the other kids in the class.
0 comments:
Post a Comment